Selecting the chart periodicity and first date enables you to choose the frequency and amount of data to view in the chart.
The periodicities available are daily, weekly, monthly (DayTrader Only) or intraday hour, minute, second and volume bars. Once the chart is created, everything you do will be done in terms of the chart periodicity.
The periodicities available are as follows:
Monthly Each bar represents one month of trading activity
Weekly Each bar represents one week of trading activity
Daily Each bar represents one day of trading activity
(Day Trader Only)
Hour Each bar represents trading activity for the user-specified number of hours.
Minute Each bar represents trading activity for the user-specified number of minutes.
Second Each bar represents trading activity for the user-specified number of seconds.
Volume Each bar represents trading activity for the user-specified volume. The volume of each bar will equal the specified volume. Each bar is created by accumulating trades until the specified volume is reached.
Range Each bar represents trading activity for the user-specified minimum price range. The high-low range of each bar will equal the specified range. Each bar is created by accumulating trades until the high-low range is reached. The first trade to break outside that range starts a new bar. Since price gaps are not filled with phantom bars, the high-low range of a bar can exceed the specified range when prices gap outside the range before a bar’s price range criteria was met.
To choose a chart periodicity and first date:
- Select a periodicity for the chart by clicking on the desired periodicity of either daily, weekly, monthly, (DayTrader Only) or intraday. If you chose intraday, you should also enter the desired intraday bar size (i.e. 1, 2, 3, ‘) in the text box and select the desired bar type (i.e. Hour Bars, Minute Bars, Second Bars, Volume Bars or Range Bars). Choose how far back to initially load data by entering a date, using the up/down buttons to change the day/month/year, or selecting the dropdown arrow to select a date from the calendar.
- Press the Next button to proceed to the next wizard screen.
- (DayTrader Only) Note that Second, Volume and Range bars are created from tick by tick data streams and therefore historical data may be limited and take longer to load.
- (DayTrader Only) Second, Volume and Range bars may not be visible when using data feeds that do not provide tick by tick data streams.
(DayTrader Only) When using Second and Volume bars, if you choose very small bars, your model may not execute as fast as new bars are created, causing NeuroShell to become non-responsive or even crash. If this happens, use larger bars, load less data, or simplify the model(s) in your chart.
- NeuroShell Trader will handle all data conversion if you choose a chart periodicity different from the data files upon which the chart is based.
Example #1: If you create a monthly chart based upon daily data files, NeuroShell Trader will set the monthly open equal to the first daily open, the monthly high equal to the highest daily high, the monthly low equal to the lowest daily low, and the monthly close equal to the last daily close. Additionally, the monthly volume & open interest equal to the sum of all daily volumes & open interests, and all other monthly data values equal to the last daily data value.
Example #2: If you create a daily chart based upon monthly data files, data points will only be displayed once a month. However, if you insert other instrument data that comes from a daily data file, the new instrument will display data every day and the original data will be extended so that each day displays the last monthly value.
- If you choose a periodicity greater than the data files upon which the chart is based, NeuroShell Trader will display a partial bar even if all data is not yet available. For example, if the current day is a Thursday and a weekly chart is created using a daily data file, a partial bar will be displayed using the data from Monday through Thursday, even though Friday’s data is not yet available.